Wednesday 27 November 2013

ENTREPRENEURSHIP FOR HOSPITALITY REFLECTIVE LEARNING



Full Name: Lee Shu Yin 
Preferred Calling Name: Sharon
Student ID: 0304739
Where are you studying: School of Hospitality, Tourism and Culinary Arts (Bachelor of International Hospitality Management) 
Nationality: Malaysian
Hobbies: Playing badminton, watching drama
Interests: Photography  
Age: 22
Email Address: dreamysky91@gmail.com

Reflective Learning:


This subject requires us to come out a business plan. Our business is about opening a bar. The skills that required to complete the group assignment are Communication skills , interpersonal skills, lifelong learning.

  1. Communication skills - Communication is very important in the daily life no matter what you do. A good communication skills allow the message delivery correctly and allow us to communicate well. In this group project, sometimes it  happen a miscommunication or misunderstanding situation where my member could not understand what i try to say and miscommunication between the manager and member. At last we manage to communication well also. This make me understand that a good communication skills is very important when communicate with other. If could not manage well the miscommunication, it will occur disagreement and argument. When appear the miscommunication or misundestanding situation, i will try to re-confirm again so that i would not get the wrong information. Same goes to my team member, they will talk to me when they have a problem.
  2. Interpersonal skills - From the group assignment, i also learn that the team dynamics and works   with others in a team. I am the person that hard to work with other that i not close to. But i learn to work with other in the assignment. I play as a Food& Beverage manager in this business. when i complete my part, i distribute the task equally to my subordinate member. This allow me understand that, although the business could finish by individual, but it would better to complete in a group. I believe that this group assignment will allow me to work more comfortable with other in future.
  3. Lifelong learning - This business also allow me to learn independently. Before this business plan, I do not know about licensing for business. After this, I know to started a business is required few type of license such as music licensing, alcohol license if want to sell alcohol drink, beer license, signage license and so on. All this can not learn in the class. Besides that, I also intellectually engaged when doing my part of business.
           The most challenging part about working in a group are how to communicate well between each other, how to share our opinion, how to let others to understand what you talking about or what you want. Sometimes, when work in a group, we will rely on one people opinion and will not share our own opinion or hard to share our opinion and suggestion.

         The best part of working in a group are could finish the task easily, completely, efficiency. I am the Food and beverage manager in this assignment. I feel it is not an easy job. I feel like I am like the bridge between my team member to our manager. Sometimes i have to represent them to speak out our opinion. Sometimes have to make my own decision. I feel so stress when there is an misunderstanding situation occur between my team mate and general manager. I could do things differently by listen to everybody opinion and thought. I could work well in other department also. 

          The different about working with course mates from different background is we have different idea. We have different knowledge.  For example, I am the only one Malaysian in my group, and our business require the information for Malaysia. Therefore we could help each other. For example, i help HR department to get the information about employment salary policy.

         I think i do well in overall. The part that I do not very well are calculate the pricing and design the menu. For the pricing, because i could not get the exact price from the supplier, therefore I just can assume the price. Besides that, the percentage i use was not correct, i have to recalculate it after check by general manager. In addition, while designing the beverage menu, it does occur disagreement and argument. My team member and I were been told to design the menu by how we want it look like. But at the end, we have to redo due to not in a proper form. This make us very disappointed. But luckily, at last we manage to do it also.

         The skills that I need to improve is communication skills. I have not enough good communication skills. In this group assignment, it occur the disagreement and argument is due to the miscommunication and misunderstanding the information that deliver from other. If i have a good communication skill, it will not occur that much disagreement and argument. So i think i need to improve communication skills. I also need to be aware of and form opinions from diverse perspectives.

No comments:

Post a Comment